Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 4: Spirituals II/ Oh Mary Don’t you Weep





Listening to the song “Oh Mary Don’t you Weep” it was a song of joy and hope. The voice of Mississippi John Hurt and his guitar add this effect of joy. But then listening to the lyrics it told a different story. Such words like “Pharaoh’s” and “Lord told Moses” made me do more research about the song. Doing research on the lyrics, I found out that it contains events of the old and New Testament, such as the biblical story of Mary of Bethany and her please to Jesus to resuscitate her brother Lazarus. This song originates before the American Civil War and to scholars on is consider it to be a “slave song” and contains “coded messages of hope and resistance”.  As I listen to the song again it made me wonder how it was at the start of slavery when ships, filled with slaves, where transported to the New World to be sold. My charcoal drawing illustrates a women weeping for her lost one, weeping inside the stowage where the slaves where put.  I have never seen death so for that reason I did not draw the face of the death, only their feet. But I also try to represent “hope” by giving the women some light coming from above as to say that there is still a light of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment