Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week 2: “You are my sunshine” - Jimmy davis








“You are my Sunshine” by Jimmy Davis is a song recorded in 1939. This song is a song that talks about how he was in love with someone and how their love one made their lives happier. But the verse “I dreamed I held you… when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken” tells us that although they are not together he still cannot forget her. But the way this song is play is very joyful as the instruments makes it sound, with the trumpet sound in the background, and also when it starts in the verse “I’ll always love you & make you happy” the piano starts playing, making me feel like I was watching an old black and white film with no sound and the piano playing adding emotion to the scene.  

For my visual for this song the verses that I like the most were “you are my sunshine, my only sunshine” it immediately made me think of my daughter. She is learning how to walk and she is trying to stand in her two feet. In my head it is a funny scene of her in my head. I created a linear drawing of my daughter as if she was my sunshine in the form of sunlight being unbroken by the clouds. I first created a diagonal line that divides the page as an abstracted way I imagine my daughter’s spine of her body would look. The other lines extend creating her arms and her legs and also forming a circle.  I use the colors black and yellow to create the distinction and focus point. Also the bottom lines being projected downward as a mental image viewed in reality. The upper lines extend in random directions, for me it was a way to represent her body movement as she is trying to find a way to stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment